Sunday, March 7, 2010

International Women's Day

Tomorrow is International Women's Day.  I'd never even heard of it until I moved to Ukraine.

Celebrated in North America mainly by the Nutcracker Sweets, it is a big deal in Europe and in Ukraine, International Women's Day is bigger than Valentines Day.  We have been sending ecards and telephoning our female friends all day today.  Yesterday we bought gifts (flowers and such) for Tanya and Lena and a game for Masha.  I had my eye on something for Tanya but she said no gift as such, she would rather make another big order to Interflora instead, which she did.

The kids are coming for Shashlik in the afternoon.  Not sure where we will cook it.  Maybe in the garage?  There is still two feet of snow in the patio area.

Volodya and Oksana were here for lunch on their way to Nikopol.  They are observing meatless Lent which made Tanya's prepared lunch obsolete.  I asked Volodya if he gave up Vodka, chocolate and sex too.  He said he was crazy not stupid.

5 comments:

  1. Is there an International Men's Day? Seems only fair us men get one too.

    I knew there was a reason I didn't turn my wife onto your blog. This psot proves me out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MRM, that pretty much gives you your answer. Every day is Men's Day.

    Anyone doing serious development projects at the grassroots level will tell you that involvement of the women is critical to accomplishing anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry I missed it! I will lie and tell Wade it's once a month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You didn't know about international Women's Day? And you used to be in Saskatchewan? I think you're putting this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My boss said that in China they got half a day off to celebrate and she was so surprised most people in Canada don't know about it (unless they've been overseas)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are encouraged. But if you include a commercial link, it will be deleted. If you comment anonymously, please use a name or something to identify yourself. Trolls will be deleted